Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Garlic Basil Changua (Egg & Milk Soup)

So I've heard that in foreign countries, hot food and soup are served just as often on hot days and cold days. Apparently it has something to do with the body's temperature regulation.

What do I know? I tend to crave a smoothie and cold cut sandwich when it's 90+ degrees out. As far as I know, my body temperature is still 98.6 ;)

But then again, there's something about steaming hot food that just satisfies, no matter what the temperature.

Today, as the temperatures are rising, I decided soup would be a good option.

I chose a breakfast soup. From Columbia I believe. I have to admit, I have a really hard time following a recipe. So yes, I changed a few things up. Partly because I wanted to use what I had in the cupboards! Also, I wanted to experiment. I think it's worth a try. It's pretty tasty if I may say so myself.

Mine looks thin and funny. This is because I didn't add enough milk, and I used skim milk. The recipe given has been improved. It will look/taste better if made according to the recipe below!


Garlic Basil Changua

Ingredients for one serving:
1 cup of milk (2% or whole would be best)
1 cup of water
1 clove of garlic (use a garlic press if possible or just mince)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste (don't be shy on the salt--most of us are used to salty soup)
2 basil leaves, chopped
1 tsp parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped tomato

Heat milk and water, then add garlic and salt. Simmer approximately 10 minutes. Add tomato and onion powder, then carefully add egg (don't break the yoke!).
When the egg is done, pour into bowl and top with remaining ingredients: pepper, basil, and parmesan.
Enjoy with toast or croutons!

Note:
-I was very tempted to get even farther from the original "changua" concept and scramble the egg to make it egg-drop milk soup. This would be a good thing, since I felt I had to eat the soup and egg separately. I wanted egg in every bite. Next time I make this, I will probably try egg-drop style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...