Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Easy Homemade Tomato Onion Soup

The weather impacts my food choices quite often.

I made this soup on a rainy summer day, and it perfectly fit the mood!

It's really easy. In fact, this recipe made me so excited because it's faster than heating up canned soup on the stove. Actually I think it takes just as much time as heating up canned soup in the microwave if you don't do much chopping (and it's barely any).

I think homemade things are almost always better. It's not very often I try something homemade and decide I'll stick with the store-bought version. Hmmm, I know I've decided it for something.

Marshmallows might not be worth making homemade every single time you want a s'more. However, they're definitely better tasting, so they're worth making if you want something nicer and you've got the time.

Almond milk is also something I don't feel like making homemade that often because I feel wasteful with all the almond pulp that's left over! I've looked into using it somehow, but haven't found many good options. (Let me know if you know of some great almond pulp uses!)

So I totally get it...homemade is often better, but not always worth it.

In this case, I believe it is. It takes little/no extra time, you can add your own spices and ingredients, and you get to use fresh fruits and veggies! I'm a fan. Perhaps you will be one soon as well :)

Tomato Onion Soup

This recipe was adapted from the recipe book that comes with a Vitamix

Ingredients (for approx. 2 1/2 c.)
3 roma tomatoes
1/4 c. sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 c. onion
1 tsp bouillon
1 tbs plain greek yogurt
1 cup steaming hot water

Heat water in microwave. Then begin by measuring and chopping ingredients. 
Put everything in blender in the following order: tomatoes, onions, cheese, yogurt/paste, bouillon, then water. Then blend for 2-3 minutes on high.

Pour into a dish. Examine the thickness...mine was quite runny at first but got thicker after setting a few minutes.

Add croutons or enjoy with bread if you know what's good for you ;)

Ta-da! Easiest soup in the world? 
Could be.
Notes:
-I enjoy onions. This soup is pretty onion-y. If you're less of an onion fan, I might suggest either cooking the onions first or adding less.
-I used greek yogurt because I didn't have any tomato paste. If you have some, you might want to use that instead. I'm sure it would give it a stronger tomato taste and would make it less creamy.
-This soup would be GREAT with grilled cheese. If you plan to eat it with grilled cheese, you may not even need the cheddar cheese in the soup (but might want to add milk or something in that case)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...