Thursday, June 13, 2013

A God Story and Blueberry Cream Soda

I've decided that I'm going to record some things God's been teaching me with these recipes. Will it have anything to do with the recipes? Probably not. But that's what I'm doing. Because...why not?

So God kind of gave me a wake up call today. I was going to read the Bible, probably something in the New Testament. But I haven't completed the Old Testament that I started over a year ago.

I felt kind of bad about it. Then I started thinking about how fast I had read through the first 1/2 of the reading plan last year, and how excited I was. The goal of reading the whole Bible seemed...accomplishable for the first time in my life! And that's pretty sweet. 

However, I slowed down a lot this past semester of college and lost interest quite a bit in some of the Old Testament books. One that seemed to drag on in particular was Ezekiel. And really, it's not the least exciting book. It just felt...so...long....

Then I started thinking about how much Satan must not want us to read the Bible. Is it a requirement? No, it's not. But is it a good idea? Yes! Is it awesome? Yes! And from what I've heard of the devil...he's not a big fan of awesome, good ideas.

So of course he's going to be all over people who try to read through the Bible. Pfft. No wonder it's so hard sometimes.

Whenever I think of Satan using little tactics to deceive me, I get this weird...determination. I think to myself, "Oh, I see what you did there. You got me that time. But, ha. I figured you out. Me and Jesus (mainly Jesus), we're going to overcome your silly deceit. You can't fool Him. And I'm with Him."

By the way, I don't know how I feel about "taunting" the devil, but I've done it before. Basically I told him he had no power over me, so he could do his worst, which is completely true. But it ended up being one of the hardest days of my life. Out of it came my most embarrassing moment (it involved me looking like I peed my pants), and a few other difficult moments.

Anyway, I realized that Ezekiel's "dullness" was mostly created by me. I wasn't reading with a willing and thirsting heart. So I was thinking, "Stupid Caitlin. Who sparks interest in the Bible within me?" I knew the answer. I'm not the one who makes sweet revelations...He is. So He needs to help me out on this Bible-reading thing. (Duh.)

I prayed that He would give me interest, teaching me something new, and help me get through just one chapter of Ezekiel without being bored. So I read the chapter. Nothing special. 

Then I realized I only had 2 chapters left. So I decided one more couldn't hurt. There's a sign: it must've been interesting enough for me to continue. 

Continue I did. And I happened upon a Holy Spirit-given connection to one of my favorite analogies! In Ezekiel, I believe it makes reference to what Jesus later says to His disciples: they are fishers of men! It talks about fish and fruit and healing and nets. And I always thought Jesus was pulling that fishers of men thing out of thin air. Not so.

God is so cool.

No transition :)

Blueberry Cream Soda

ingredients for one serving:
1/3 c blueberries
2 tbs sugar
1/3 c water
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 oz chilled club soda

Puree blueberries in a blender or chop/mush them throughly. Make simple syrup by bringing water, sugar, and pureed blueberries to a boil. Let boil for 5 minutes. Take off heat, add vanilla, and let cool.

When syrup is cool, add to club soda with ice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...