Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Chickpea dessert tamales!

I'm not going to make you wait for this recipe. You don't have time, because it's good and I think you might enjoy trying it.

I'll just say, I have plenty of "flops" when I make up my own recipes and food combos. But this one, NOT a flop. Just yummyness.
just a peanut butter-banana filled chickpea dessert tamale




Chickpea Dessert Tamale

Ingredients:
1 can chickpeas
3 tbsp oil (i used olive)
1/8 tsp bkg powder
1/2 c. sugar (I used white--this was plenty. Less could be used.)
1/4 c. oats

filling: Banana & peanut butter

Combine all (but filling) ingredients in a food processor and process until there are no chunks.
Spread the paste out on a cut sheet of foil*.

Add topping in the middle.
Wrap the foil around so the edges of the paste will cover the filling (or else you will get an equally delicious tamale, that looks a little sadder...such as the one on the right 2 photos down)

Steam for 20-30 minutes.
Unwrap to see the tasty creations!

Enjoy promptly. I prefer them warm!



Notes:
*I used foil because I did not have any corn husks or banana leaves on hand. I'm sure either of these would provide a more authentic tamale, and may add a good flavor.
-I think these would be delicious with many other fillings such as apples and cinnamon or some sort of chocolate. I will likely try other flavors in the future and will post to share how they turn out.
-This recipe should make about 8 good sized tamales at ~220 cal a piece (this includes the pb & banana)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...