Thursday, May 30, 2013

Lemon Poppy Seed Dip

It's been storming off and on for a while. There's been plenty of heat and humidity in the area.

Probably in many areas. So here's a recipe for no oven, no stove-top, no bake deliciousness!

In fact, that's the main reason why I made it. I've been really into lemon baked goods lately. It seems like such a summer treat to me! And I really wanted to bake something lemony. But alas, I did not think that turning on the oven would be a good idea at all.

Side-note: If you're into lemon, I advise you to keep reading this blog. I suspect more lemon recipes in the future.

I didn't have to turn on a single heat source for this one! And once it's been in the fridge for a bit, it's a very refreshing treat.




Lemon poppyseed dip. I just got some poppyseeds and was SO excited to toss them in. I'm not even sure if they have a flavor. Are they good for you or something? I don't know, but they look nice I suppose! Just remember to avoid them if you're taking a drug test in the near future ;)

And lemons?? Well they are just wonderful little fruits. They are so useful. Someday, I may even decide to grow some myself. (I've read somewhere that they can grow from an indoor tree...but I'm slightly skeptical.)

I've heard so many great things about lemons! They can whiten your teeth, your skin (if so desired), your hair, your white countertops. They can clean cutting boards, soothe a sore throat, and keep fruit from browning. They also have loads of vitamins and are great for digestion. Not to mention, add a bit of sugar and they're super tasty.


Well, that being said, I'll give you what you're here for. A recipe!

Lemon Poppy Seed Dip

1 can chickpeas
1/4 c. oats
1 tbs nut butter
1/4 c. milk
2 tbs oil (or sub nut butter)
1/4 c. powdered sugar
pinch of salt
juice of 1-2 lemons
pinch of lemon zest

2 tsp poppy seeds

Combine all ingredients (except poppy seeds) and blend in blender/food processor. Stir in poppy seeds and serve! Chill in fridge if desired.

Notes:
-I used the juice of 2 lemons and mine was VERY lemony, which I enjoy. But I also didn't use any lemon zest. I recommend using lemon zest and no more than the juice of 1 lemon, but you can mess around with it.
-For a lower-fat version, you can sub some/all oil with applesauce, although it would probably have a more confusing flavor. I used coconut oil and that added a bit of "flavor confusion" in my opinion.
-If you're wondering what to serve this with, I would recommend strawberries (think strawberry lemonade)! But also crackers, plain cookies would be good. It could be used as a nice "frosting" to top buttermilk pancakes with, too. And, if you like lemon as much as I do, of course you can enjoy it by the spoonful as well!
-If you can share, it should serve 8-10 people. Calories per serving (for 10 servings) are approximately 150.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...